Welcome All,
Follow us as we sail Bullwinkle, our Westsail 32, south to California, Mexico, out to Hawaii and back home to Seattle.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Into Coos Bay

Cape Arago...just south of Coos Bay
Arrived Coos Bay at about 8:30 am this morning. As I said earlier it was mostly a motoring trip although I did get some sailing in during the afternoon when it was nice and sunny. Very calm seas, no wind waves and very low swell. I amused myself on the ham radio during the night. Radio(propagation) conditions where good and made a Russian and Ukrainian contact. Several east coast and Hawaii. Some people stay up way to late and I talked to a couple of guys in Texas at about 3:00am.
I found I get extra attention on the radio when I say I'm a maritime mobile station...guess it's something different.

Arrived about 7 miles from Coos bay at 4:00am, so not wanting to enter the river bar in the dark, I put the boat in kind of a stall position and went below to doze. By 5:30am the south wind had come up, sooner than predicted, and I motored into some chop to get to the river bar entrance. The big jetty provided lots of protection and the bar was super smooth.

Tied up to the transient dock here at the Charleston Marina and have been enjoying talking to the folks crabbing on the dock. Looks like the south wind will blow until Wednesday, so I'll be here for awhile.

Forgot to mention in the earlier Newport post. Had a beer on Braum and Anna's boat Tarpan. They're a Dutch couple who have some extensive cruising experience. Their current cruise has take them from Europe to Maine, throught the ST Lawerence Seaway, crusing the Great Lakes, trucking the boat to Seattle, wintering in Victoria and now down the coast to Panama. Hope to see them again down the coast.

Haven't found the internet yet, so can't post any pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your getting some well needed rest my love. Find that internet hotspot and get us land lubbers some of those whale pictures!

    ReplyDelete