Welcome All,
Follow us as we sail Bullwinkle, our Westsail 32, south to California, Mexico, out to Hawaii and back home to Seattle.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Eureka...continued

Stayed in Eureka another day.  My Mom had a mild heart attack last night and I wanted to stay around in case things got worse and I had to travel back to Seattle.  She's doing ok though and the doc's are changing some medication.  Mom's 90 now and a tough bird.  They are planning to release her tomorrow.  Tracey traveled to the hospital and hung out with her today.

I found you can spend a whole day doing only a few boat chores.  Finished one propane tank this morning and when I inquired at the marina office where I could get a  refill, they gave me the name of the store and then one of the staff offered a ride there.  You can't beat that.  After taking care of the refill, I got ready to take the boat up to refuel, so I could leave early in the morning.  Now the fuel dock is only about a quarter to third mile up from the marina.  However, it does not have a floating dock.  It's a fixed pier and you tie up to pilings and they hand the fuel hose down to you.  I walked up to take a look.  In the end, although feeling like less of a competent seaman, I couldn't figure out how I was going to get a fender between the two pilings and the boat and at the same time, stop and tie up the boat to the piling.  I could see cap railing being torn from the boat.  So......instead I decided to jerry jug the fuel via dingy from the fuel dock to the boat...10 gallons at a time.   This, of course, required inflating the dingy, installing the motor, etc.  That actually does pretty fast.
When I arrived at the fuel dock, tied the dingy and climbed the ladder up with the jugs, the fueling guy said sorry we can't fill jugs on the dock, our permit only allows us to fuel a boat.  I said what if the jugs are in the dingy...............yes, then we'd be fueling a boat.........Ok.   The guy was great about it and I said I would be making another trip back after emptying these into the boat.  He said, "no problem, what ever works for you", so they were very helpful.
Back to the boat, I got the fuel tanks filled and rinsed, dried and folded the dingy.  Then it was pretty much time to have a beer and fix dinner.  So, I never got to far from the marina today.

Planning to leave for Noyo River, FT Bragg in the morning.
Ed

1 comment:

  1. I got the biggest kick reading this today. You continue to amaze me--I absolutely love your mind! Can't wait until I'm near it again...xxoo

    ReplyDelete