Welcome All,
Follow us as we sail Bullwinkle, our Westsail 32, south to California, Mexico, out to Hawaii and back home to Seattle.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Last three days--good sailing

Hello All,

The last three days have been great sailing weather. On 5/17 the wind was about 10 knots all day from the North. It did die at about 2 am the morning of 5/18 and I had to motor for about 3 hrs before it came back up again. The 5/18 was about the same except it never died during the night allowing great tracking from the self-steering gear.
Yesterday afternoon about 3pm or so the wind increased to 15 from the north northeast. I flew my larger jib for awhile and then changed down to the working jib and was moving nicely in the 5 knot range.
The wind continued steady through the night and into today. Wind waves are about 2 feet and primary swell in 5-6 ft. So the boats moving around a bit and hand holds are necessary.

Yesterday, I crossed the 121 west longitude. Thats the meridian that runs through Seattle and western Washington. Made me feel a little bit at home and I celebrated by changing my watch to Pacific daylight time...one hour earlier than Mex time.

This morning brought a nice surprise of a small 18" dorado on the fishing hand line. Just the right size for me. I steamed it up and left in the pressure cooker, so now it's sort of canned and looking forward to having it for dinner.

Winds are continuing quite steady in the 15 knot range, a good speed for moving this boat along. Been staying in touch with a marine SSB net called the "southbound net" and they say is should stay pretty steady for the next 3 days. I'll download some weather data after posting this and see what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment